THESE ARE MY GROUPS FINAL SCENE AND PROPS !
The two illustrations below were for ‘The Upper Berth’. I used fine liner and watercolour. These were the only two illustrations I has for the first group crit and tutorial with Anna Bhushan. I received very constructive feedback and advice as it was suggested I create more thumbnails to create as many compositions as possible and to try different mediums. This feedback threw me off track a bit and I ended up having an artistic block. I disliked most of the images I created and the medium I was using. Eventually I became more confident and comfortable with using inks and watercolour. I feel that the ghost stories project was the mainly experimental for me which was why I didn’t submit any images to the Folio Society. I still wouldn’t say that all of my images are completely finalised but they have kick started me into exploring colour and discovering colour palettes.
These are the compositions I went onto just using inks to try and figure out what would work strongly for an image.
I feel that using inks has hugely improved my illustrations. The colours bleeding into one another creates depth and a dark atmosphere which relates to the spooky vibes of ghost stories.
The Tale of an Empty House
The Upper Berth: revisited